This course focuses on the physical inspections, physical attacks, reverse engineering, counterfeit detection, etc. of electronics from the device to system level using advanced microscopy and failure analysis techniques. In additions, students will also learn about the associated countermeasures.
Topics to be covered:
- Microscopy methods to detect defects on electronics.
- Common defects and the tools to detect them automatically.
- Ionization effect on ICs from X-rays during inspection.
- Non-destructive testing for integrity analysis.
- PCB reverse engineering (RE).
- Non-destructive PCB RE.
- Image filtering and segmentation methods for netlist extraction.
- IC reverse engineering methods; Sample prep, delayering, etc.
- Advanced tools for fast accurate RE, Rapid trojan detection, etc.
- Introduce attack modules for data extraction.
- reading non-volatile memory data.
- Extract keys.
- Fault injection using laser.
- Attacks on microprocessors.
- Probing attacks.
- Extract design for obfuscated gates.
- Anti-probing techniques.